Children and Youth are invited to get a shoe box, some Easter Candy, and a…
New Vestry Members Elected at
St. James’s Episcopal Church Annual Meeting
(FEBRUARY 28, 2013 – RICHMOND, VA) – Seven parishioners were elected to the Vestry at St. James’s Episcopal Church at the Annual Parish Meeting held February 24, 2013, reports The Reverend Randolph Marshall Hollerith, rector of the church.
“This year we were fortunate to have more than 40 qualified people nominated to serve on the Vestry. The Nominating Committee had a difficult task, but we are blessed by the service of these seven dedicated men and women,” said Rev. Hollerith.
Elected to the Class of 2016 were C. Knox Hubard, Jr.; Gloria Prevatt; Geoff Sisk; Bobbie Ukrop; Kathryn Blackwell West; and Norvell B. Whitaker. Stephen Watts was elected to the Class of 2014.
Hubard is currently involved in the music program, and has also served for several years as a teacher and rotation workshop leader in the Sunday children’s education program, has co-lead parish retreat programs at Shrine Mont and Trinity Center, and served as a CARITAS volunteer.
Prevatt worked with others to create the Taste of St. James’s which debuted in 2011. Her interest in art led to the introduction of The Fine Art of Food, a first time exhibit of works by parish artists that was tied into the 2012 Taste. She has served as a volunteer with the Feast of St. James’s, WomanKind, and Hospitality and currently serves with the Newcomers, Name Tag, and Jazz Mass Communion Bread Ministries.
Sisk currently serves as an usher, has volunteered for CARITAS, served on the host committee for The Feast, helped with annual giving and Fan the Flame and has taught Sunday School.
Ukrop serves on one of the Wednesday night dinner teams, as an usher and is a past Chairman of the Children’s Center. She has been a volunteer with the Bazaar, as well as with CARITAS, in which she is still active.
West currently serves on the Mission Committee and leads the Honduras mission. She also served as a Sunday School teacher for several years and Sunday School Superintendent for two years. Other involvements include the Bazaar, Mardi Gras, and CARITAS.
Whitaker, a lifelong member of the church, has for the past three years served as the Acolyte Master. Prior to that, she taught Sunday School and chaired committees for the Bazaar, including the Preview Party and the Cafe.
Watts was elected to serve one year of an unexpired term in the Class of 2014. He has served on the Vestry for the past three years, including serving as chair of the Communications Committee during 2010 and Junior Warden during 2011 and 2012. He also has served as a volunteer in the goodChoice, CARITAS and McGuire Hospital ministries and as a Disciples Of Christ in Community (DOCC) facilitator and completed the Pilgrims Path and Education For Ministry (EFM) programs.
St. James’s Episcopal Church is located at 1205 West Franklin Street near Virginia Commonwealth University. It was formed in Richmond in 1835 and has been located at the corner of West Franklin and Birch Streets for 100 years.